Early morning coffee at Vic Falls with Dad & my sisters
The Paul family who loved me so much
Corrie & Johan
The rest of my 2-week stay in Ghana was spent with the Bekkers - prayer warriors!! This was that period of time that most adoptive parents dread, waiting for your court date and passport. Despite having had the benefit of going through this with our foster babies and having been "trained" well by Romana during our time in Ghana, it still got the better of me. Corrie and Maria rallied the prayer warriors and this kept me standing. After "losing" 2 court dates, I was told our date would be 17 July at 11:30. At about 9:45 I received a phone call from the lawyer stating that the clerk of the court had informed him the judge would not be coming in and our case had to be carried over to the Tuesday. I was devastated and started trying to send out text messages for urgent prayers, when the lawyer phoned back and said if I could make it to town by 10:30, the judge would see us. For anyone knowing Accra traffic on a Friday, its almost impossible!! Yet, in the back of a Muslim taxi, me singing "What a mighty God we serve" and "Step by step You'll lead me and I'll follow you all of my days" to Samuel, we reached town by 10:15. The lawyer did not want to believe we came all the way from Airport Residential! After another 10min through centre of town traffic, we were seated on a wooden bench in front of the court.
We enjoyed coffee, Samuel and Jana enjoyed life!
On the 17th we celebrated 3 months of Charles Kojo becoming Samuel Charles Kojo Versfeld. Looking at Samuel's journey home and it being the anniversary of our adoption date, I would love to share some details of his adoption. I know that this is "old news" for some, but for us it will always be an awesome story.
I'm 1 today
On our first Saturday back after the Christmas holidays, Romana and Heather asked me at Youth whether I would just come and have a look at the "new baby" from Tema who was special needs and in need of lots of love. Although we had no intention to foster another Ghanaian baby as we were on our way to Zimbabwe, God had other plans. Samuel came into our lives on Sunday 11 January 2009 as the "new baby" from Beacon House and he was like a newborn - unable to hold his head up, sit up or even really interact with people. His paperwork showed that he would turn 1 on 4 February and my heart ached for this little one. The girls enjoyed arranging his Teddy Bear picnic party with some friends from Beacon House, and Samuel was able to sit up in a special foam chair - for us a huge step forward after only about 3 weeks of stimulation!
After we left Ghana in early March, Samuel was fostered by a loving family who continued to stimulate him. Mariette continued to keep me informed on each milestone and sent regular photos. During this time George and I felt God calling us to commit to a longer term "promise" for a little one, than just a foster home. After much prayer and various doors opening and others closing, we were told in early June that we could proceed in adopting Samuel. The entire June was spent running around after a Social Welfare document and on the evening of 30 June, we made a decision to take a leap of faith. I booked my ticket for Ghana, departing Johannesburg 4 July and returning 25 July - I know, 3 weeks time limit for all Ghana documents is crazy!! BUT those were the dates we felt God giving us and asking us how far we trust Him to make it happen. I met Samuel again on 4 July and I was amazed at his rate of development! The Paul family played such a big part in Samuel's life and it was a huge privilege for me to be able to stay there for my first week in Ghana, as it made the transition for Samuel so much easier. Samuel just loves to be loved and they did that and so much more for him. They are forever part of our family.
As with everything the first week was pretty much meeting with the lawyer, Social Welfare and Immigration for all Samuel's paperwork, but nothing happened in terms of the finalization.
The rest of my 2-week stay in Ghana was spent with the Bekkers - prayer warriors!! This was that period of time that most adoptive parents dread, waiting for your court date and passport. Despite having had the benefit of going through this with our foster babies and having been "trained" well by Romana during our time in Ghana, it still got the better of me. Corrie and Maria rallied the prayer warriors and this kept me standing. After "losing" 2 court dates, I was told our date would be 17 July at 11:30. At about 9:45 I received a phone call from the lawyer stating that the clerk of the court had informed him the judge would not be coming in and our case had to be carried over to the Tuesday. I was devastated and started trying to send out text messages for urgent prayers, when the lawyer phoned back and said if I could make it to town by 10:30, the judge would see us. For anyone knowing Accra traffic on a Friday, its almost impossible!! Yet, in the back of a Muslim taxi, me singing "What a mighty God we serve" and "Step by step You'll lead me and I'll follow you all of my days" to Samuel, we reached town by 10:15. The lawyer did not want to believe we came all the way from Airport Residential! After another 10min through centre of town traffic, we were seated on a wooden bench in front of the court.
With the lawyer & Social Worker after "Adoption granted"
The judge hardly gave me time to put down the nappy bag, took one look at Samuel who was busy "doing Mommy's hair" and said "Its OK". Then I asked if he would please say the words "Adoption granted", and although they all started laughing, he obliged. He then proceeded to collect his documents and left the room with us. As he closed the courtroom door, I realised how mighty our God really is - the judge heard only 1 case that day, ours!! By 11:00 I had shared the wonderful news with George and the girls in Zimbabwe, family in South Africa and was on my way to have coffee with a group of ladies from the Bibile study. They were still going to pray for our time in court at 11:30!!!
Sunday, 19 July, Samuel and I stood in front of our congregation as they prayed for us for tavel mercies for Saturday, 25 July. Samuel had no passport, no court order yet and thus no visa or ticket. Tuesday morning brought about yet another passport interview and I admit I was beginning to worry that I would have to "go and come" without Samuel. Our prayer warriors from around the world prayed that God would continue to do what humans perceive as impossible. On Wednesday morning I was handed Samuel's passport, we bought his ticket and I applied for his South African visa. On Thursday the lawyer provided me with a one page document as proof that they were busy with our court documents, but he said that the chances of us getting the signed and sealed court document by Friday was slim. Friday morning brought about Samuel's visa as well as the sealed court order! The lawyer stated very clearly that this was truly an exeption! God had done amazing wonders!
I'll make a plan to get what I want
So here we are, Samuel is becoming more and more confident each day. He has some definite ideas about naps and bedtime - not his favorite activities. However anything involving water is always a winner, trying to get him out of the bath, shower or pool is a challenge.
So here we are, Samuel is becoming more and more confident each day. He has some definite ideas about naps and bedtime - not his favorite activities. However anything involving water is always a winner, trying to get him out of the bath, shower or pool is a challenge.
At the Matopos with Granpa & Granny
Samuel is loved and adored by family and friends. We are blessed to have him as part of our family!
Thank you Lord for those precious ones that You bring into forever families!


So thankful that you are blogging Heidi. Miss and love you all and am challenged by what you write :)
ReplyDelete