"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you
hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29: 11-13

Monday, October 5, 2009

One of those days

I really intended to post this yesterday, but then what can I say - it was one of those days.

I woke up with a feeling of being blessed way beyond what I deserve. George and the girls went for an early morning cycle and Samuel had a sleep-in, so Mommy had time to have her coffee in the garden and enjoy the quiet. Sitting there I remembered a time when doctors told us would never have our own children, God had blessed us with 4! I also remembered the discussions George and I had about bringing Samuel home and how great it would be if he was here for Christmas, God brought him home in record time! God had provided us with all we needed in this new country and way, way more in terms of "non worldly goods".

Our church service normally starts with testimonies and here my "warm, fuzzy" feeling was dealt a dose of reality. The lady wrongfully accused of theft and imprisoned, gave a testimony of God's protection during the past few weeks. She again shared how she led 2 women to Christ and how she followed up by visiting them after their sentencing. She then shared a bit about her appearance in court and how she felt standing in the dock - " Standing there, I suddenly realised how Jesus must have felt. I know my most overwhelming feeling of shame and sadness can never even be compared to what He had endured for each one of us." How quick we are to wonder how God can allow things to go wrong for His children, yet in her time of shame and her sharing thereof, she made all of us more aware of the greatest blessing ever.
After this appearance in court, she and her husband were attacked in their home last weekend! This time her testimony centred on the power of prayer. She said the initial attack was filled with aggressive behaviour and anger. Whilst being pinned to the floor, she started praying and told her husband to do the same as God promises that there is power in prayer. From wanting to kill them, their attackers decided to lock them up - they even gave her her Bible when she asked for it! She testified to being intensely aware of God's presence during this time. She endured severe blows to the head and God had protected her from any damage! God is always present, always protecting, always loving each one of us, despite of what the world does to us.

I made a few new resolutions after the service:
- spend more time with those I love, really take time out with them (the dishes and washing will still be there when they each want to do their own thing);
- look for more opportunities to help and support others, small things go such a long way;
- and lastly but most importantly to be more aware of God's whisper in a world of loud noises. To be able to make the difference in a situation when He calls on me, no matter how difficult it might be at the time.

Watching Ellen, Marina & Yvonne play volley ball against Dad & Samuel, again brought overwhelming feelings of thankfulness for a God that truly loves me for who I am and blessed me way beyond what I deserve.

We continue to pray for change for this beautiful country, because as the song says: "Nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing, nothing is impossible for Him."

2 comments:

  1. when i was reading i had many thoughts i wanted to write for a comment, but now i can only say: Amen!
    God bless you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts when I read your post ... we are with overwhelming feelings THANKFUL for you Heidi ... and George, and Yvonne, Ellen and Marina!! It overwhelms my soul to think of how God used you in Kody's life, in our life, and in Ella's life! We love each one of you and every day truly praise God for you! MUCH LOVE! Maria
    P.S. It is with GREAT JOY that we now get to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete