The big day arrived and the only one excited about the "outing to the hoptital" was Samuel. After checking in and his normal greetings of "I'm back. I'm fine. Thank you" Samuel was prepped. The anesthetist explained what we could expect Samuel to look like after 3+ hours laying face down and I have to admit, I wanted to pick Samuel up and run - as fast and as far away as I possibly could. Then it was time.....Samuel was collected from the ward by his spinal surgeon and anesthetist personally ; I was allowed to place him on the operation table and love on him whilst he was put under......way to hard to let go then......but that's when you realise again God loved him before we knew him, God has a plan with this.
The pre-operation x-rays revealed that the operation was still necessary and after what felt like an eternity the anesthetist came out to say Samuel did very well during the procedure and we are now at the stage where he either wakes up or stays ventilated and heavily sedated for 48 hours to allow facial swelling to subside and his body to recover. About an hour later the wheeled Samuel to the Paediatric ICU........ without a ventilator!!!! It was on standby only!!! Praise God!!!
As you can see from this photo taken, no swelling, no fluid build up in his face from being in an upside down position.....still as handsome as ever :) Everyone involved with his care was amazed by his body's ability to cope with such a big operation.....we knew that this was only God. So many people across the world had interceded for Samuel and God had answered our prayers. When we arrived back at the hospital 3 hours later not expecting much.....another miracle. Despite some serious sedation medication, Samuel opened his eyes when he heard our voices and said "I'm better.I'm fine"To hear his voice.....no words can explain. God is faithful!George arrived at the hospital early Saturday morning to find a little boy who was supposed to be heavily sedated for 48 hours, asking for pizza! After his doctors visit it was decided to try and mobilise him should he not experience any discomfort. This was to enable him eat some custard,jelly and ice-cream (a compromise on the pizza request) without the risk of chocking. He also stood up next to the bed and walked a few steps. WOW is an understatement!!!
Of course we have to take photos of everything to show him what he feels and every time he just says "wow" - very intrigued by the neck brace :) Glad he thinks it is cool as this is a major part of his life for the next 6 weeks.
God has blessed us with an amazing, brave boy. People are already talking about how amazing his recovery is and Samuel will one day be able to testify as to the great things God has done for him.
"We are filled with laughter, and we sang for joy. And the other nations said, "What amazing things the Lord has done for them." Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us! What joy! Psalm 126When I read this on Friday morning, I could never in my wildest dreams imagine how appropriate this Psalm would be for this day.... 26 April 2013. Our hearts are filled with joy and thanks for all the prayers for this precious angle God has entrusted in our care.


No comments:
Post a Comment