One of the subjects in Ellen & Marina's curriculum this year is Family / Consumer Sciences.
This is a lot like to old Home Economics (Huishoudkunde) that is no longer available at many of the schools. We had our first lab work this weekend, this was more of a test to me than them :)
A bit of background for those who don't know me to well. I love my kitchen - when I stress I bake / cook, when I'm happy I bake / cook, when I miss my family in South Africa I make their favourites as if that would bring them closer. I love traditional food like melktert, bobotie and hot puddings like malva pudding and roly poly.
Although the girls have helped with pasta dishes in the past, the baking part has been pretty much a "mommy" zone only - they are the experts on icing, especially cupcakes for bake sales :)
So for their lab, the twins had to bake chocolate chip cookies - unassisted, NO interference !!!
Marina was first and I had to hang my head in shame :(
She was neat, organised and followed the recipe and instructions carefully.
When Samuel sneaked into the kitchen, she took time to explain to him that the area close to the oven was a "no go" zone.
Her cookies were so delicious, I was lucky to have the remaining 6 for a photo.
I felt so ashamed for not having giving them an opportunity earlier to be more active in the kitchen :(
Tomorrow is Ellen's turn, so I'll be posting about chocolate chip cookies again.
I took this photo of Samuel, our little cookie monster, between the cookie photos. The 1st photo had 6 cookies and as I wanted to take a 2nd one, Samuel's little hand came into the frame & "stole" a cookie! Unfortunately his hand was faster than my camera setting, so no action shot there :)
Yvonne is enrolled for this course in the second part of the year.
I'm looking forward to actively sharing my entire kitchen with the girls !! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment